Small group tour
9 days -
Experience the picturesque countryside in laidback Laos, where peaceful temples, lush mountain scenery and vibrant markets await. From the Golden Triangle area in Northern Thailand glide down the Mekong to the beguiling World Heritage town of Luang Prabang, site of ancient Buddhist monasteries, faded colonial architecture and delightful boutiques. In Vientiane, dine in a local house to a traditional musical performance, explore sacred temples and learn about the secrets of famous Lao coffee.
- 7 nights hotel accommodation
- 1 night lodge accommodation
- breakfast daily
- 2 lunches and 4 dinners
- 1 internal flight within Asia
- 1 cruise
- small group touring
- entrance fees
- Western tour leader based on a minimum of 7 travelers
- local English-speaking guides
- return transfers
- transport in air-conditioned vehicles (except walking touring and electric trolleys in Luang Prabang)
Prices and Departures
Small Group Tour Itinerary
DAYS 1-3: THE GOLDEN TRIANGLE (THAILAND) & PAKBENG (LAOS)
On arrival in Chiang Rai in the Golden Triangle, transfer to your hotel. Meet your group of like-minded travelers and tour leader for welcome drinks and a briefing. Explore the Golden Triangle region on the way to an award-winning hilltop lodge which overlooks Laos and the mighty Mekong. Take part in a Hmong Batik class, run by your Hmong hosts. Journey to the border the next morning and take a slow boat down the tranquil Mekong. Float past traditional villages and rural scenery. Stay the night in the former trading post of Pakbeng, on the edge of the rugged Mekong.
Hotel: Laluna Hotel & Resort
Hotel: Lanjia Lodge
Hotel: Sanctuary Pakbeng Lodge
DAYS 4-6: LUANG PRABANG
Enjoy bathing and feeding elephants in a jungle setting, then cruise onwards to the Pak Ou Caves and its hundreds of Buddha statues. Glide in to beautiful Luang Prabang, a treasure-chest of architecture and culture, and your base for three nights. Explore highlight sites on foot, including the exquisite Royal Palace and the graceful Wat Mai and Xieng Thong temples. Take part in a leisurely game of petanque, and indulge in sunset mocktails in riverside temple grounds. Savor a delicious local noodle breakfast with a brew of French coffee, be calmed by the serene sight of monks collecting alms at dawn, and spend an evening taking part in bamboo weaving and in an interactive cooking class in a beautiful rural setting. Visit scenic Kuang Si Falls, and have ample free time to explore Luang Prabang's alleyways, alluring architecture, boutiques and cafes.
Hotel: Sala Prabang
DAYS 7-9: VIENTIANE
Fly to Vientiane, the rapidly developing capital. Visit the grand Patuxai monument for panoramic city views, and the COPE Center - to learn about the tragic after-effects of Indochina's 'Secret War'. Sample a famous Lao coffee in a local cafe, explore gilded That Luang and antique Wat Sisaket temples, and have free time for personal discoveries. In the evening, be blessed at a Baci ceremony and be treated to a traditional music performance over a delicious 'jaew' dinner in a local house. On your last morning, enjoy free time before your departure transfer.
Hotel: Lao Orchid Hotel
* From prices subject to availability and subject to change. Prices may fluctuate if surcharges, fees, taxes or currency change. Amounts payable to third parties not included. Airfares not included unless otherwise specified. Agents may charge service fees and/or fees for credit card payments which vary. Please check all prices, availability and other information with your travel consultant before booking. If you book with Insider Journeys an additional 2% fee applies to credit card or charge card payments (except in North America, where no fee is charged). Insider Journeys general booking conditions apply click here.