Run by the Peuan Mit Program for Street Children, Makphet Restaurant trains young and at-risk Laotian’s in hospitality giving them immediate care and long-term prospects.
Makphet Trainee, Ms K
- Laos’ capital Vientiane is home to approximately 600 street children
- The chance of abuse, violence, HIV/AIDS and human trafficking are always present
- To help support the family many children work, often in unsafe conditions, from a very young age
What does Makphet do?
- Trains 50 youths per year in Vientiane
- Program is comprehensive & lasts between 18 and 24 months
- An average of 10 students find employment or start a business after leaving
How does Insider Journeys help Makphet?
- For the past two year we’ve sponsored a pupil at Makphet costing around $2,000 per year
- This covers training, accommodation, healthcare, transport and course materials
- A huge hit with our clients, Western tour leaders and staff we try and include a visit to Makphet on all our tours in Laos.