Highlights of Japan from Kyoto
Small group tour
10 days -
Experience the many faces of Japan, from antique teahouses in Kyoto to dazzling streets in Tokyo. Discover the thriving geisha culture and take a touching trip to Hiroshima. Delight in an exclusive Maiko performance and dinner and walk the absorbing streets of Takayama. Speed through the countryside on the bullet train and stay in a traditional inn near Mount Fuji. Leave with a heartfelt understanding of this mysterious land.
- 8 nights hotel accommodation
- 1 night Ryokan accommodation
- breakfast daily and 2 dinners
- 6 day trains
- transport in air-conditioned vehicles
- small group touring
- entrance fees
- luggage transport
- Western tour leader based on a minimum of 7 travelers
- local English-speaking guides
- return transfers (on first and last day of tour only).
Prices and Departures
Small Group Tour Itinerary
KYOTO & HIROSHIMA
Arrive in Kyoto, where you will be met at the airport. The city is filled with shrines and temples, countless teahouses and a thriving geisha culture. Embark on a full day tour of Kyoto, visiting Nijo Castle, Kinkakuji temple, Kiyomizudera and walk down fascinating streets, including those in the historic Gion district. Take a day trip to reinvented Hiroshima to visit the informative Peace Museum, Peace Memorial and Miyajima Island. Enjoy a free day in Kyoto on day 4 or perhaps visit Nara, which is close to Kyoto. Nara boasts historic World Heritage-listed temples and a tranquil Deer Park. Enjoy an exclusive Maiko dinner and performance in Kyoto, and learn about the lives of the apprentice geishas.
Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyoto Sanjo
the small Japanese garden, peaceful breakfast area and smart lobby gives this hotel a tradtional Japanese feel.
A thrilling ride on the Shinkansen (bullet train) brings you to Nagoya and then on to Takayama. Set in the remote mountains of the Hida Region, Takayama is renowned for its skillful artisans and sake breweries. Explore the Old Town on foot, stopping at some of the traditional old houses and delightful local museums. Wander a vibrant morning market and gain an insight into the rich history of the area at the Festival Floats Exhibition Hall, as well as Takayama History & Art Museum before enjoying an afternoon at leisure.
Best Western Hotel Takayama
Ideally located in the heart of Takayama, this hotel has been recently renovated and attentive bilingual staff provide personalized service. Each cozy room has many modern amenities including cable television and a mini-bar. There is a restaurant on-site, as well as a helpful concierge.
HAKONE & TOKYO
Take the train to Hakone, a picturesque town famous for its hot springs and natural beauty. From your base at a Japanese-style inn, cruise on Lake Ashi-no for a chance to spot majestic Mount Fuji. Feast on a sumptuous Kaiseki dinner at your Japanese Ryokan. Travel by bullet train to Tokyo. A carefully crafted walking tour immerses you in the busy streets of Tokyo. Take in the Edo Museum and look down on the city from the Tokyo Tower at night. After an early morning trip to the massive Tsukiji Fish Market, visit the peaceful Rikyu Garden and take a stunning river cruise to Asakusa. Enjoy free time on your last day before a transfer to the airport.
Set in the wooded forests of Hakone, this property is at the entrance to the Hakone area, giving you easy access to explore this lovely region. Japanese-style rooms have tatami mat flooring, futon bedding, and a traditional ambience, with basic Western showers and toilets for a comfortable stay.
Akasaka Excel Hotel Tokyo
Centrally located in Tokyo, this property is just across from Akasaka Mitsuke Station. Rooms are comfortable with simple and modern interiors, making this hotel an ideal choice for a relaxing stay in the city.
* From prices subject to availability and subject to change. Prices may fluctuate if surcharges, fees, taxes or currency change. Amounts payable to third parties not included. Airfares not included unless otherwise specified. Agents may charge service fees and/or fees for credit card payments which vary. Please check all prices, availability and other information with your travel consultant before booking. If you book with Insider Journeys an additional 2% fee applies to credit card or charge card payments (except in North America, where no fee is charged). Insider Journeys general booking conditions apply click here.